Friday, April 21, 2006

Lowcountry Chilling

Taking Amtrak is so much more relaxing than taking the plane. We caught the Silver Meteor from Union Station here in D.C. I'll have to admit that my husband and I were a little giddy. It's been 20 years since he took a train and we've never taken one together. I found the family-fun atmosphere of train riding so much nicer than the plane. Sure, with flying you'll get there sooner, but where else can you enjoy conversation in a lounge car watching the scenery go by?

We kicked back our recliners and 9 hours later, we pulled into Charleston where our stepmom met us. His dad lives here and I have family in SC too. I love coming down here to Charleston though. This region has such an otherworldly look to it with the marshes and water and trees. I love it and think it's one of the most beautiful places in the world.

For my regular readers, I still love my job and the people are still wonderful. It's challenging and interesting work. The funny thing is that since I still work in the same building--a rarity in D.C.--I'm still running into my old co-workers almost every day. That's OK though. They're usually happy to see me. They find it as amusing as I do.

My husband & I are doing nothing today. Sure, we could go and swing at Waterfront Park or see the gorgeous homes at the Battery or on the islands, but this is my first vacation in 7 months. I'm doing nothing. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: