Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Into Town and Back Again

The quemada was pretty cool. It´s a ritual from Galicia in the North. It involves heating an alcoholic drink called agua ardiente and lighting it afire. It was pretty cool and we partied afterwards. Then, we partied again the next day too. Yesterday we were all pretty low energy, but today, everybody´s back to normal.

Went into the town of La Alberca yesterday. We´re talking medieval village here. Narrow streets, winding roads, flowers everywhere. Beautiful. We sat in the main plaza and toured the town. Very nice. We had jamon iberico--made from pigs only from this region that eat only acorns. They have a stand--every house has one--where the whole leg hoof and all is propped up and carved with a thin knife. It´s considered the best ham in the world and I had all I could eat. Today I went again--twice--and had a great time speaking Spanish with the shopkeepers. I´m having an incredible time and really learning about the country and its people because we have so many chances to sit and talk with the Spaniards.

This is a wonderful program...

3 comments:

Karoda said...

Elle, I can't wait to see photos from this trip...the entries are just a tease.

Gerrie said...

Are you going to get to Salamanca? Love that place. It is architecturally awesome.

gabrielle said...

Elle, I am so jealous. Spain is my dream vacation...can't you teleport me there?