Wednesday, June 08, 2005

1st Try at Free Motion Quilting


OK, I'm a little shaky handed, but that just means practice, practice, practice, right? I was so tickled. I'm a hand quilter, so this is new territory for me. The four squares were given to me during my guild's "Back 2 Basics" Day so I didn't have a choice about the designs, but I liked it. I decided that I was going to take them home and really finish it and practice on it. You can't really see it here, but I did an acorn and leaves on the lower rt. square. I had lots of fun painting the copper leaf on the lower left. It's unfinished (you can still see my marking and there's no binding yet), but this was a lot of fun and Ol' Singer seemed up to it. I can't wait to do more things now!

4 comments:

Sonji Hunt said...

I think this is pretty good for a first try, Elle! You must have an affinity for machine quilting. Maybe you just need to go faster in order to get the wiggle out. I'm no expert on it. The spacing looks nice and even, though and suits the piece. Hurrah for you!!!

Deb R said...

I wish I could see it even larger, Elle. I think it looks really good for a first try. (Better than MY first try did!)

You started with something hard by trying to do that cable thing in the border on a solid background! There's a reason so many machine quilters like free-form designs that don't have to be even and perfectly repeated. ;-)

Gerrie said...

You are off to a great start!! A smasll quiltlet like this is a great way to start. I sometimes make muslin sandwiches and just practice different stitches and designs. I really love machine quilting now, but I've still got a lot to learn.

Debra said...

Great first job!! I like the spontaneous look of your cables. Did you know that those are hard to do in machine quilting??