Monday, March 07, 2005

Daughters

In the Washington Post this morning, I read the story of a local high school senior named James Hall, who at 17 took on the responsibility of raising his now 2-year old daughter Ja'Mya--as a single father. Why is that so inspiring? At a time when so many young men (and older men!) shirk their responsibility as a parent, he wakes up 3 hours earlier to get her ready and then goes to school himself. His love for her is so evident in his words, but I think his actions speak even louder.

Singer John Mayer has a song called "Daughters" that has beautiful lyrics:

"On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do..."


I just had to share...

1 comment:

Debra said...

Elle,

You are a delight to read... one of my regular stops.

I like the starts of your comet piece.. and feel sad and nostalgic about the piece you wrote about fathers. It just struck me that my father died about 2 years ago. That may be why.