Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Nataal Series

Thanks for the insights everyone. I personally found the judge's comment hilarious. I believe that it's so subjective (judging) in the end, does it really matter? I don't think so and it doesn't stop me from creating.

Right now, the new machine (it hasn't been named yet) and I have been cranking along on the Grandma quilt, remember that one? It'll be part of a series I've named "Nataal", which is the Wolof word for "portrait." I already know who the next two will be. I was really influenced by the Masters paintings that I saw at the Prado and Louvre while overseas. The guys and I spent hours and hours at those museums. One thing that I realized is that at one point, these painted portraits were their "photographs." We know exactly what Felipe III or his daughter or Marie Antoinette or Velasquez himself looked like because the paintings so consistently portray their features. I thought I'd create some portraits of my own and that's pretty exciting to me.

1 comment:

Shelina said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I love portraits, and never really felt like I could do one. My daughter has drawn a picture of herself though and I would love to transfer that to cloth somehow, but I'm afraid it won't look like her in the end. Unless I photo transfer the drawing.
I would take the judges' comments as I take everyone else's opinions. Remember the good. Laugh at the perplexing. Forget the bad.