Monday, August 13, 2007

Fallow Period

I was talking to my grandmom recently, saying that I hadn't been productive...hadn't been writing, hadn't been quilting. She said, "That's alright, you're usually like this in the summer. You usually pick up everything again in the Fall." I found that an interesting observation on her part. As artists, I supposed that while we are compelled to create, perhaps we do have fallow periods where it lies dormant for awhile, until it becomes a better time to use it? I know I work like a prolific whirlwind during the Fall and Winter months.

Seasonal creativity...now there's an interesting notion...

On a good note, Dr. Mazloomi inquired about "Just Me Being Negative" today and if it is available for exhibition (it is). I don't know what's going on, but it has to be good, right?

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, surely he wouldn't ask if he didn't want it for something! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Isn't it amazing how clear the sight of our elders can be? I was always surprised that my grandmother, and my aunt, knew so much about what was going on inside me. LOL!

I don't think mine is tied to seasons, but I do go through a flurry of creating things (nothing like what you do!) and then I just have down time where it seems that nothing is happening. Recharging doesn't seem like anything, but I guess it's an integral part of the process.

Deb Hardman said...

Well fall will be here soon. I hope you find your foot! I've been wondering what you're up to.

I tend to finish things in summer, but I think it's tied to deadlines, like the state fair, & our quilt show in early Sept.

artmixter said...

I think 'fallow' time is essential. We get all wound up about not creating, but underneath, there's lots of unconscious work going on in there, ready for use when the moment is right. and the unconscious always knows when the moment is right.

Judy said...

OK, where are you???? You've been silent for waaaay tooooo loooooooooong and I'm worried about you!

xo