Sunday, September 17, 2006

Stumped & Art Quilt Appreciation at Guilds

Still struggling withthe background of the Grandma quilt. It just hasn't hit me yet as to what I'll do quilting-wise for it. Arrrgh.

Went to a guild meeting for the first time in months (summer break). It was nice seeing friends and talking shop. I also realized that my guild truly has an appreciation for art quilting. The members are just as excited about art quilting techniques as they are about traditional quilts.

Have others had this kind of experience in their guilds? I've been getting the feeling that this is not the norm.

5 comments:

Karoda said...

Our guild is only a few months old but I think we will have the same experience...and I think its because the art quilters are the more seasoned in the group, maybe (?) but yes the newbies are wanting and willing to explore traditional and new quilting techniques.

Debra said...

My stitching guild is excited about art quilts, but my quilt guild is not. In fact, I quit my quilt guild because they had nothing to offer me.

Unknown said...

Elle, Our guild turns 10 this year. It has evolved somewhat, but remains primarily traditional. The sad thing is that there is a weird kind of elitist vibe toward the art quilters and/or any members who have achieved some success. So many of us evolved from traditional quilts and were beginners and haven't forgotten our roots, but we want more. I guess we've just kind of outgrown most of it. You are lucky, indeed!

Susan said...

I'd agree that it isn't the norm. I think it depends on where you are in the country. The CA guild I attended was a majority of art quilts, but all were considered wonderful. The AZ group was small and everyone seemed to appreciate everything. The TX group I attended on the Gulf coast was mostly older women, and I only went once, because they were too traditionalist for me. However, I know that is not necessarily typical of either TX or older quilters.

It's probably like anything else. People are people. =)

Shirley Goodwin said...

It's all traditional here, I'm afraid.